The 12th installment of my annual "Year In Review" has been completed. This year came with a few changes, but ultimately stayed the same. In years past I only named the best new artist and best album of the year, and then created a mix of my other favorite albums in no real particular order. However this year, I elected to create and list in order of what I consider the top 20 albums of the year to be. As always, many hours of listening, researching and inner debates went on to put a list together that defined this year for me.
If you are new to how I compile this list, this is basically a mix of 20 songs (that had clean language, this is a family gig as always) from what I consider the 20 best albums that I enjoyed this calendar year. This gives you a chance as the reader/listener to step into the music that was defining the year for me.
This year was a life changing year for both my wife and myself, and these are the bands I listened to, and the music that will forever distinguish this amazing year for me apart from all the others. I have also changed the name of this list. In years past, and I'm not sure why, but I entitled this list the "Year In Rock". However, I've noticed I listen to much more than just rock music, and even a few hip-hop records you will notice got honorable mentions. So it's more than just a "Year In Rock" it is indeed a "Year In Review".
(As always if you would like a copy of this mix, message me or it's in DropBox and here as well: http://www.mediafire.com/?aodmzpmq26iw96y )
And here you go:
1. Vampire Weekend Contra "Run"
2. LCD Soundsystem This Is Happening "Dance Yrself Clean"
3. Arcade Fire The Suburbs "We Used To Wait"
4. The Black Keys Brothers "Ten Cent Pistol"
5. Mumford & Sons Sigh No More "Sigh No More"
6.The National High Violet "Bloodbuzz Ohio"
7. Local Natives* Gorilla Manor "Who Knows Who Cares"
8. Paper Tongues Paper Tongues "Trinity"
9. Gorillaz Plastic Beach "Stylo" (feat. Bobby Womack and Mos Def)
10. Spoon Transference "Nobody Gets Me But You"
11. The Walkmen Lisbon "Angela Surf City"
12. Band of Horses Infinite Arms "Laredo"
13. MGMT Congratulations "Flash Delirium"
14. Broken Social Scene Forgiveness Rock Record "All to All"
15. Guster Easy Wonderful 'Stay With Me Jesus"
16. Weezer Death To False Metal "Turning Up The Radio"
17. Ben Folds & Nick Hornby Lonely Avenue "Things You Think" (feat. Pomplamoose)
18. Broken Bells Broken Bells "The High Road"
19. M.I.A. /\/\/\Y/\ "XXXO"
20. Kings Of Leon Come Around Sundown "The End"
*Best New Artist of 2010
Kanye West My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
The Roots How I Got Over
Wavves King Of The Beach
Surfer Blood Astrocoast
Linkin Park A Thousand Suns
Girl Talk All Day
Brandon Boyd The Wild Trapeze
Beach House Teen Dream